Tuesday 25 June 2013

INTERVIEW WITH DR. SOJI ONI, THE BEST ACCOMPLISHED RESEARCHER IN AFRICA

A lecturer at the faculty of education, Dr. Adesoji Adeolu Oni recently won the “Educational Research in Africa Award” (ERAA), A Project of the Korea Trust Fund (KOAFEC) as the “Best African Accomplished Educational Researcher Award for 2011-2012” on May 14, 2013 at the International Centre for Education, Severs Cedex, Paris, France.
In this interview with Temitope Ojedele and Taiwo Ekeleme; the accomplished scholar reveals his works and how the award has reinforced his commitment to work harder. Excerpts:
UG: CAN WE MEET YOU SIR?
My name is Soji Oni. I am a lecturer in the Department of Educational Foundations, University of Lagos. I had my 1st degree from the Obafemi Awolowo University (O.A.U) where I
studied English Studies Education. Then, I proceeded to the University of Ibadan to study Sociology of Education; my Ph.D. is also in Sociology of Education.
UG: HOW HAS LECTURING BEEN?
It has been very nice and cordial. I believe in teaching, doing research and community services. I don't miss my classes because anything, apart from research is secondary, that is why I do research and even if I miss classes, there  would be make up classes.
UG: WHAT WAS THE MAJOR RESEARCH WORK THAT WON THE AWARD?
There was no major one that prompted the award. I was asked to bring my Curriculum Vitae and they went through it and one of the conditions for that award was that, the person must have carried out research across the world. To God be the glory, I have been able to publish outside the shores of Nigeria.
I major in Sociology of Education, especially in deviance behaviour narrowed down to students' occult behaviour as highlighted in my Ph.D., I also work on social change in education as well as teacher education. My thesis won the best in the faculty of education.
UG: WHAT INSPIRED YOUR RESEARCH WORKS?
A lot of things inspired me. You look at your society, you look at the way your research can impact the immediate and larger society. Well, some years ago while working on my Ph.D., I wanted to work on secondary school students, but my supervisor advised me to focus on Universities which I've have been able to do a lot of research on, gathering articles and doing various criticisms.
My challenge was that I wanted to be well known, as my colleagues who were not only scholars in America, but had works that were well read. I have some academic mentors like Professor Dayo Banya (retired from University of Ilorin) and Professor Joel Babalola (prolific researchers). They have been encouraging and have been interested in my academic work.
UG: ABOUT THE TWO TIER EVALUATION PROCESS, DID YOU KNOW ABOUT IT BEFORE HAND?
No. I wasn't exposed to it before hand; it was at the point of receiving the award that I became aware of the process of the screening. The association that gave me the award (ADEA) consists of 54 ministers of Education in Africa and some other developmental organizations that are partners with them. This award is in four (4) categories namely:
1.            The imagined educational research in Africa – (a person who is a burdened scholar and carries out specific/important research
2.            The Best accomplished African education researcher
3.            The outstanding mentor in Africa
4.            Enabling institutional development
UG: HOW HAS WORKING IN THE UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS BEEN?
I appreciate the immediate past management and the present management for trying to create an enabling environment particularly for lecturers in the University of Lagos to do research. Though, it is not very easy to conduct research in Africa.
As a researcher, we face a lot of challenges, one of it is poor electricity supply; I know how much I spend to fuel my generator every month and the problem I face at times when the modem I use to browse the internet is not working, I had to rush down to the University.
I doubt if there is any lecturer in the University of Lagos that is not connected on the internet in his office and apart from that, there is also the research grant that we apply from the University to conduct research. I am working on a research with a team that we won the grant to conduct a research which will be presented to the University very soon.
Also, if a lecturer does not have the means to attend an international conference, the University will sponsor him/her. This I have enjoyed on several occasions and the same applies to the faculty of education who have also created the enabling environment for lecturers to do their work.
For example, immediately you get an appointment, the Faculty, the Dean, strive to ensure that you have a very comfortable office to operate, making you comfortable to work, attend to your student and carry out research work.
In other words, if the University continues and improve on this, i won't be surprised that between five years, the University of Lagos would be ranked between the first ten in Africa and first one hundred in the world. So, the University of Lagos is doing quite good in making lecturers enjoy an enabling environment to do their work.
QUESTION: SO HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE AWARD?
Well, I feel fulfilled and it also serve as a prompt, as it motivates to do more and also a challenge that whatever you're doing, it can never go unrewarded. I never knew that some people were noticing what I was doing. In fact, sometimes during the course of the award, I stumbled on someone from the World Bank, and another professor from South Africa who told me they have read my works requesting for the questionnaires in other to replicate the work at South Africa which I gladly sent.
So, whatever you're doing in life which is on the good part, can never go unrewarded. So it's a challenge that you continue to do more in other to have more laurels. There are a lot of things that some of us are aspiring to get. This is not the first one.
When I was doing a Ph.D., I got a full bright award which is the most prestigious academic fellowship award in the U.S and on completing the Ph.D., I also won an award as the best thesis. I think this is just the beginning for other higher attainment.
UG: YOU'VE READ THE “UNILAG GONG”, WHAT ARE YOUR OBSERVATIONS?
Yes, as I told you earlier on, I started like that some years ago and went into it until somebody accosted me that here is something like that; there was a time I discussed with a colleague in the language department that in the University and College of Education I attended, each faculty, each department do have a press club, the student always enjoys going to the board to read from them. I asked her; does it mean that the spirit of scholarship is dying in our students that they seem not to be enthusiastic about this kind of culture anymore.
So until one of your colleagues stumbled on me and I said look – this is nice and I think you students are doing quite well. I won't be surprised if you can go about to look for sponsorship in the nearest future to ensure that it becomes a very bulky journal or magazine that will capture nearly every aspect of the University life in terms of academic, social, religion, convocation, anything so that it would go a long way to launch the image of the University and to make the University rank high in the Webometrics.
UG: ANY MESSAGE FOR THE STUDENTS, MANAGEMENT AND COLLEAGUES?
The management of the University of Lagos is doing quite good but the authorities should not relent; we should all strive, join hands with the management to ensure that the University leads to that thing: “the pride of the nation and the University of First Choice” and how is this achieved? By doing what we're supposed to do. Lecturers should go to the lecture room, do the research the way it ought to be done and the student should attain to do their best.

For instance, if students of University of Lagos are also ranked among the best in the world, then it would shoot the image of the University. So the students should develop that culture to strive for scholarship. As an undergraduate, we inspire to read novels by exchanging with friends both within and outside the school, which is evident in the way we put them in our pocket.

1 comment: